- Appellate Counsellor Memos
- The United States Supreme Court's 2002-03 term will end in June. This page reports the status of Ninth Circuit decisions that are under review. The Commission on Structural Alternatives for the Federal Courts of Appeals has submitted its final report, which recommends retaining the Ninth Circuit intact, but splitting it into three divisions. Read more about the report here. There are also tips on timely filing, the record on appeal, briefing.
Ninth Circuit Rules
- Full text of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure, with the associated Circuit Rules of the Ninth Circuit, and hypertext cross-references, as amended through July 1, 2003. The associated forms are available on the Forms page. The Court has published proposed amendments to its rules, which are posted here. Comments are due by September 19, 2003.
Ninth Circuit Opinions
- The Ninth Circuit posts its opinions on its own web site. The opinions are posted by 12 noon of the day that they are released. The Court's opinions are also archived at FindLaw, where they are searchable, and browsable by date.
Ninth Circuit Judicial Profiles
- Capsule biographies of the judges who sit on the Ninth Circuit.
Appellate Counsellor Bookstore
- Stop by the bookstore, and take a look at Judge John Noonan's new book Narrowing the Nation's Power: The Supreme Court Sides with the States. You should also check out Winning on Appeal, by Judge Ruggero Aldisert, recommended by the Ninth Circuit in De La Rosa v. Scottsdale Memorial Health Sys., Inc., 136 F.3d 1241 (9th Cir. 1998). Purchase The Bluebook (so that the citations in your brief will be correct); or Strunk & White's classic Elements of Style (so that the writing in your brief will be correct).
Copyright © 2019 Calvin House. Appellate Counsellor® and Appellate Decisions Noted® are registered marks used in commerce by Calvin House since 1995. All rights to those marks are claimed.
Information in this publication does not constitute the rendering of an opinion on any particular factual situation. Specific advice should be obtained prior to acting on any of the comments, advice, or recommendations in this publication.